Thursday, July 16

Let's Give Lulu a Huge Welcome!!!

I gave birth to Lulu this morning. I named her for the half-crazy Lulu (played by Melanie Griffith) from the movie Something Wild.

Why? Because my dear baby Lulu is a freak. She was born with only 3 lobes. She will probably end up oddly shaped and will be unlikely to be big enough to crush stray children who wander too near.

I spent the morning scanning for advice on bigpumpkins.com. Opinions ranged from "so-and-so's 1342 was a 3 lober" to "cull it now" to "I have never seen a 3 lobed bloom in all my years of growing".

If I get another pumpkin to set, Lulu will probably become compost. But for now, she's all I've got and we'll try to love her just the way she is.

And since my camera is unavailable, I'll just entertain you now with shots of previous Pollination Days from years past:












1 comment:

Tedd said...

Hey, John, my first was a 3 lober. I got it up to 117 lbs. Not, in any way, impressive, but consider that I got the seeds from Lowe's...If you have good genetics, I think that you should be ok. It might be oddly shaped, but we don't care about pretty...it's all about the weight.