Tuesday, June 3

"It's Just a Deer"

So I'm standing around "socializing" with my next door neighbor a while back, and I figured I might sort of prepare her for the inevitable, you know - the Survival Of The Fittest wild kingdom sort of thing.

Not being one to beat around the bush, I mentioned, "You know Karen, if the deer comes back to eat my pumpkin... I'm going to kill it."

Karen is a nice lady. A great neighbor. But she surprised me by saying one of the oddest things I've ever heard: "John! It's just a pumpkin!"

I pondered this. I had consumed a couple of beers. More than a couple, to be honest. So I looked her in the eye and said, "Karen, it's just a deer!"

We stood there a minute, then shuffled off without another word.

When the deer takes its final dirt bath, I better pull it off carefully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's only a deer to them but to us who watch over our plants like a hen does her chicks it is every thing we got going and all that matters at that time in our life. i say deer watch out ..........lol you are on my hit list........

lee