Wednesday, April 29

The Secret of my Success

Sure, I like to whine about my problems. I think I'll have more shade than ever in the back yard this year. The whole yard is builder-grade clay and rock. (Try tilling it in the summer sometime, Andy.) The vine borers, not to mention Fluffy the Deer, know exactly where to find me.

HOWEVER!!! I spent the winter prepping my soil with the favorite food of earthworms:














That's right, coffee grounds. I collected coffee grounds by the 25-pound bag full at Starbucks for most of the winter. I think I put a quarter ton (500 pounds) of coffee into my plot!

And sure enough, I can't stick my shovel in the ground back there without pulling out 3 or 4 big ol' worms. And there's nothing better for making great dirt than earthworms.

National Planting Day is Saturday... can it really be here already?

No comments: