Wednesday, April 9


The Year of Jemima

In the past, I've waited until I've pollinated a fruit before I officially named it. Not this year. This year's monster is going to be Jemima.

Why Jemima? Well, all pumpkins are female to begin with. I like a good southern name, and all the better if it's a name you associate with a big old gal. After all, I'm trying to grow A BIG OLD GAL!

Beyond that... before she was immortalized by the Syrup Cartel, Jemima was a daughter of Job. That's right, the Job from the old testament. Now Job I can relate to... I figure I've suffered about as much in my pumpkin growing as he did from disease and pestilence. Anyway, at the end of the story, God rewarded Job with the three most beautiful women on earth for his daughters. One of those daughters was Jemima.

So to sum it up, I'm planning to grow a big old Southern syrup-lickin' beautiful pumpkin, and we will name her Jemima!

No comments: