Wednesday, April 2

It All Begins with the Dirt

I'd like to send a heart-felt message to Ryland Homes, who imported the fill dirt in my back yard. "Ryland, You Suck!!!"

This isn't dirt at all. It's about 40% rock, 40% clay, and 20% something in between. No wonder the grass won't grow.






I can fix this, but it isn't easy. First, I chisel out all of the rock and clay. All of it.

Then, I add lots of the favorite food of worms world wide: coffee grounds.










Good pumpkin dirt is supposed to contain at least 10% organic material. I prefer close to 100% myself. So let's add a foot of leaves and some cow manure and some compost and let it age all winter. I'll get a picture of the result up tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suppose it's a tad bit late for this season, but let me know if you want me to start keeping my coffee grounds for the effort -- now or for the late-fall soil prep.


Andy